Friday, March 4, 2011

March 4

When the Storm has Swept By

Numbers 2-3:51; Mark 11:27-12:17; Psalm 47:1-9

Proverbs 10:24-25

24 What the wicked dread will overtake them; what the righteous desire will be granted.
25 When the storm has swept by, the wicked are gone, but the righteous stand firm forever.

When I read this mornings passage in proverbs I was taken back in time to some of the darkest days in my christian life. A storm had overtaken my life, not just a cloudy day, not just rain showers or a windy day but a raging storm. It seems that we all have days that are up and down, you know "cloudy" in our faith. Sometimes life can rain on our parade and cause us to reflect on the direction or path we are taking. I have experienced windy days in my life when everything seemed to being blowing in the wrong direction. I think we can all agree that even in our own strength we can endure some of those days, but what do we do when they all the elements collide at once? That is called a storm! You may want to run from every storm but sometimes you have to stand in the storm. Can I share a song with you? I think you will be pleased that I'm not able to sing it to you (I am a terrible singer) but I can share the lyrics with you today. This song reminded me in my raging storms where the answer would be found.

Though the storms keep on raging in my life and sometimes it's hard to tell the night from day. Still that hope that lies within is reassured as I keep my eyes upon the distant shore. I know He'll lead me safely to that blessed place He has prepared. But if the storm don't cease and if the winds keep on blowing in my life. My soul has been anchored in the Lord.

I realize that sometimes, in this life, we're gonna be tossed be the waves and the currents that seem so fierce. But in the Word of God -- I've got an anchor, oh yes I have, and keeps me steadfast, unmoveable, despite the tide. But if the storm don't cease and if the winds keep on blowing in my life. My soul has been anchored in the Lord.

The billows may roll, the breakers may dash, I will not stray because He holds me fast. Some darkless day that lies in the sky I know it's all right 'cause Jesus is nigh. My soul's been anchored. You crush me down but Jesus picks me up. He sticks right by me when the going gets tough. My soul has been anchored in the Lord.
Song lyrics by D. Miller

My soul has been anchored in the Lord. Like a ship in a storm, we have to give up all control to the anchor. That is how I have made it through every storm. Can I encourage you that it is never to late to tie yourself to this anchor.

Many blessings,
Pastor David

No comments:

Post a Comment