Saturday, March 12, 2011

March 12

Numbers 16:41-18:32; Mark 16:1-20; Psalm 55:1-23; Proverbs 11:7

"Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous fall." Psalms 55:22

The dictionary defines the verb "cast" as (1) to throw something forcefully in a specified direction, (2) to throw something so as to cause it to spread over an area, (3) to direct at something.

When I think of casting, I'm reminded of fishing with my Grandfather as a little girl. After Gramps squeezed a worm on my hook, I'd raise my pole back over my shoulder, then swing it forward, letting up on the release button of the reel. Sometimes the line would get caught in the shrubs on the side of the river or get tangled because I didn't let go at the right time. I kept trying over and over, winding the line back in and casting it out again. It was hard work!

The few times my cast was precise it felt amazing. My line would catch the air with a natural smoothness and then drop right into the target area. If I had spent more time fishing, perhaps I could have perfected the technique like my experienced grandfather. I might have even caught a few fish.

The childhood lessons I learned by the riverside have given me some insight into "casting cares on the Lord".

(1) Know when to let go. The King James Version says, "Cast thy burden upon the Lord" When something is too heavy for me to carry by myself, it has become a burden and it's time to let it go. We worry about far too many things in life...things that are out of our control. Jesus said, "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life?" (Luke 12:25). When I didn't let go of the release button on my fishing pole, my line never left the pole. As long as I hold onto my burdens, they will continue to drag me down, make me sick, steal my joy, and keep me from experiencing God's best for me.

(2) Know your target. The whole point of casting is to hit a specific target. You cannot hit a target if you don't know what or where that target is. When we cast our cares upon our friends, our family, a therapist...they may give advice or sympathy...but the burden remains ours to carry. When the Lord is our target, He takes our cares and deals with them. "...You will find Him if you seek Him with all your soul." (Deuteronomy 4:29b)

(3) Don't reel your cares back in. Once you've cast your cares and burdens on the Lord, don't take them back. Paul said, "take captive every thought". (2 Corinthians 10:5). When those cares try to creep back in your head, take authority over them in the name of Jesus. Thank God for freeing you and let your thoughts be filled with praise for Him. You don't have to reel them back in like a fishing line.

(4) Expect results. When we cast our cares on the Lord, the promise of His Word is that He will give us the strength we need to keep going. We give Him what pulls us down and He'll never let us fall! "For He will command His angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone." (Psalm 91:11-12)

Casting our cares upon the Lord is easy to talk about but often harder to do. Just like fishing, it takes practice. Sometimes we miss the target, forget to let go or reel the line back in with the bait still on the hook. Remember God is still out there waiting...keep trying and don't give up!

"Heavenly Father, when I am weary and filled with cares and concerns too heavy to bear, I pray for the strength to give them all to You. Thank you for taking my cares and helping me get through tough times. I couldn't do it without You. In Jesus' Name, Amen."

Blessings,

Pastor Susan
  

No comments:

Post a Comment