Friday, May 6, 2011

May 6

Ruth 2-4:22; John 4:43-54; Psalm 105:16-36; Proverbs 14:26-27

The Kinsman Redeemer

Ruth was an unlikely recipient of Boaz’s generosity. She was a foreigner, a young widow; she was poor, without a home; truly down and out. Boaz, however, was godly, wealthy, generous and kind. He allowed Ruth to glean in his fields; he served her lunch and told his servants to give her extra grain from his fields! His generosity was truly more than she deserved. Sound familiar? On top of all that, Boaz was also Ruth’s kinsman redeemer.

A kinsman redeemer was someone who, as a blood relative, possessed a certain obligation to step in and redeem someone who either owed a large debt or to marry the widow of a kinsman. It carries the literal meaning of “to come to the help or rescue” of one. Boaz literally came to the rescue of Ruth! And as a result, their union ultimately produced our Savior, Jesus Christ, who is our Redeemer! (Ruth was the great-grandmother of King David and an ancestress of Jesus, Matt. 1:1, 5) Jesus Christ came to our rescue, when we didn’t deserve it. We were poor, foreigners without a home, without hope and truly down and out. He is Redeemer and he lives!

I’ve blotted out your sins! They are gone like morning mist at noon! O, return to me for I have paid the price. (Isaiah 44:22) Jesus redeemed us, purchased our freedom from sin with His precious blood so that we could live free. As we look to our Redeemer and trust Him, we will live free from discouragement, resentment, anger and strife. And the peace and joy and love of God will flood our souls. Peace will come; restoration will come; and victory will come as we trust in Jesus. When we keep our eyes on Him we will experience the blessed, prosperous and happy life that He provided.

I know my Redeemer lives
Let all creation testify
Let this life within me cry
I know My Redeemer
He lives, To take away my shame
And He lives, Forever I'll proclaim
That the payment for my sins
Was the precious life He gave
And now He's alive and
There's an empty Grave!
(Lyrics from Nicole C. Mullins)


Hallelujah, My Redeemer lives!

Blessings,
Shaun Estrada

No comments:

Post a Comment