Wednesday, May 18, 2011

May 18--The Good Shepherd

1 Samuel 22:1-23:29 John 10:1-21 Psalm 115:1-18 Proverbs 15:18-19

The voice was unmistakable. It may have been twenty-five years since I had sat in the pews of Miller Park Presbyterian Church and listened to Rev. Stuart Baxter preach the Word, but I recognized his voice immediately. He was at the store counter as I walked by that day. I was 700 miles from Dallas visiting my home town for my parents’ 50th wedding anniversary. When I was a young man, Rev. Baxter’s was the voice I heard interpret the gospel week-in-and-week-out for some 15 years. The home church was as much a part of my life as the streets of North Omaha. My pastor, with his wisdom, encouragement, and exhortations to follow Jesus, was a catalyst in my decision to become a pastor myself. His voice guided me as I grew up, and I never forgot it. Years later, as my relationship with Jesus deepened, I found that Jesus’ own voice can be as familiar as one’s pastor’s voice. What’s best is that Jesus IS the perfect pastor. He is the Good Shepherd.

In our New Testament reading today, we encounter these famous words from Jesus, “the sheep listen to his voice” (John 10:3) “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep” (John 10:11).

What voice is guiding you today? Is it the Good Shepherd? Is it Jesus calling you to give Him glory in your thoughts, your actions, in your work and play?

Jesus fulfilled scripture by becoming the Good Shepherd. Not only Psalm 23, but Isaiah 40:11 and Ezekiel 34 speak of God as our shepherd, “‘For this is what the Sovereign LORD says: I myself will search for my sheep and look after them. As a shepherd looks after his scattered flock when he is with them, so will I look after my sheep” (Ezekiel 34:11-12). Jesus, as the perfect Shepherd, not only searches for us, calls us, feeds and looks after us, but He, as only God Himself could, gave His life and took it back up again for US! John 10:17 “The reason my father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again.” The Good Shepherd became the lamb, sacrificed for us and then rose from the dead to sit on the throne in heaven. Notice this prayer in Hebrews 13:20-21 “Now may the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.”

Listen to the voice of the Good Shepherd. He wants you to hear his voice every day and be equipped with all you need to take up your cross and follow Him laying down your own life for others only to take it up again! One day, perhaps soon, Jesus will come again and, as we exalt Him, He will lift us up to reign with Him for eternity! 1 Peter 5:4 “And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.” No matter what difficulties you may be facing today, turn to Jesus, hear the voice of the Good Shepherd. His promise for all eternity is to reward those who, through faith in Him, overcome trials and tribulations in this life. As God’s Word promises in Revelation 7:17 “For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd, he will lead them to springs of living water. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.”

Pastor Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment