Wednesday, May 25, 2011

May 25: You Can't Do That

2 Samuel 7:1-8:18 John 14:15-31 Psalm 119:33-48 Proverbs 15:33

Dad seemed to be able to fix any part of a car, any machine, electrical or electronic device. I’ll never forget Mom pointing out that my brother Dave had Dad’s mechanical abilities and I did not. The message was: “You can’t do that.” I wanted to fix things. I finally stopped repairing cars when I spent more on parts than I saved on labor. I stay away from plumbing. Anita practically rejoiced when my attempt at minor plumbing resulted in a flood in the house that got her a new floor. I have learned that there are things I cannot and should not do. You should do what you do best. Honor God by finding what it is that He most wants you to do.

King David learned “you can’t do that” in the passage for today from 2 Samuel Chapter 7. Even Nathan the prophet told King David that doing whatever he had in mind for God would be fine because God was with him. David wanted to build God a temple. Why not? After all, David was king and he seemed to be able to do anything. However, God had other plans for him. God told Nathan to ask David “Are you the one to build a house for me to live in?” (2 Samuel 7:5). God went on to point out to David that He had selected him to be a great leader, a shepherd now shepherding God’s people. “This is what the Lord of Heaven’s Armies has declared: I took you from tending sheep in the pasture and selected you to be the leader of my people Israel” (2 Samuel 7:8).

David is told by God that he will be blessed for generations but cannot build the temple himself. A son of his will do that. David chooses to be obedient rather than being crushed with disappointment or getting angry at God or rebellious and hard-headed or insisting on doing it his way. David goes on to see unprecedented military victory. He leads the army of Israel to win battle after battle, defeating enemies and achieving great security and peace for the nation. God thus enables David to create much of the wealth and the peace necessary for Solomon to be successful at building the temple. Out of David’s humble obedience to God comes the great honor he longed for. As our Proverb for today says, “Fear of the Lord teaches wisdom; humility precedes honor” (Proverbs 15:33).

In today’s New Testament reading, Jesus has just told His disciples that He will be going to heaven. Therefore, they cannot continue to follow Him on earth. Here in John Chapter 14, as in the following two chapters, Jesus promises to send the Holy Spirit to comfort them and enable them to obey His commands. Just as God empowered David to have victory in battle, God empowers us, through the Holy Spirit, to live victoriously as we do what we are meant to do for God. Jesus Himself sets the example. He says, “I will do what the Father requires of me, so that the world will know that I love the Father” (John 14:31).

May our prayer be, “Make me walk along the path of your commands, for that is where my happiness is found” (Psalm 119:35). Humbly hear: “You can’t do that!” Then listen for what it is God wants you to do. Accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior and receive the Holy Spirit to empower you to do victoriously what you are meant to do for God. It’s never too late!

Pastor Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment