Friday, June 3, 2011

June 3

2 Samuel 20:14-22:20 - Acts 1:1-26 - Psalms 121:1-8 - Proverbs 16:18

"My Dad's bigger than your Dad!" Have you ever heard two little boys fighting on the playground use this threat? How about the little girl that dreams of a knight in shining armour coming to her rescue? How about a 7 ft german NBA star that makes the last 2 shots to win a championship game (that is for all my fellow Mavs fans :)! Everyone wants a hero to come in the nick of time.

In our Old Testement scripture today we see David and his mighty warriors fight the giants in the land. We even see King David losing a one-on-one battle and about to recieve a final death blow from his enemy. Just in the nick of time a mighty warrior steps in and saves the king's life. Have you ever been losing a battle, maybe even at the point of death? We all face enemies in our lives, some big and some small. We all need a hero. Can I share with you one of the most most beautiful descriptions of a true Savior's heart? This is David's description of God's saving power in his life. 2 Samuel 22:1-20

1David sang this song to the Lord on the day the Lord rescued him from all his enemies and from Saul. 2He sang:“The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; 3my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety. He is my refuge, my savior, the one who saves me from violence. 4I called on the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and he saved me from my enemies. 5“The waves of death overwhelmed me; floods of destruction swept over me. 6The grave wrapped its ropes around me; death laid a trap in my path. 7But in my distress I cried out to the Lord; yes, I cried to my God for help. He heard me from his sanctuary; my cry reached his ears. 8“Then the earth quaked and trembled. The foundations of the heavens shook; they quaked because of his anger. 9Smoke poured from his nostrils; fierce flames leaped from his mouth. Glowing coals blazed forth from him. 10He opened the heavens and came down; dark storm clouds were beneath his feet. 11Mounted on a mighty angelic being, he flew, soaring on the wings of the wind.12He shrouded himself in darkness, veiling his approach with dense rain clouds. 13A great brightness shone around him, and burning coals blazed forth. 14The Lord thundered from heaven; the voice of the Most High resounded. 15He shot arrows and shattered his enemies; his lightning flashed, and they were confused. 16Then at the command of the Lord, at the blast of his breath, the bottom of the sea could be seen, and the foundations of the earth were laid bare. 17“He reached down from heaven and rescued me; he drew me out of deep waters. 18He rescued me from my powerful enemies, from those who hated me and were too strong for me. 19They attacked me at a moment when I was in distress, but the Lord supported me. 20He led me to a place of safety; he rescued me because he delights in me.

Yes, our God delights in us! Are you looking for a hero?

Blessings,

Pastor David

No comments:

Post a Comment